Friday, February 24, 2012

Thankful for Children's Medical Center

This is my first active year as a member of Junior League Dallas, and I was very lucky to be placed at Children's Medical Center here in Dallas. This placement has been a blessing in so many ways. I go to serve every Thursday night for about 3 or so hours. Thursday night is my favorite night of the week, I can be having a bad day and as soon as I walk in the door at the hospital my mood instantly changes.

Most weeks I serve in the playrooms at the hospital. Most recently I have been serving in the Oncology/Hematology floor playroom. This is by far my favorite floor to serve on. Most of the children that come into the playroom are battling cancer, or other serious blood diseases. (Yes, Meredith I have seen some Aplastic Anemia patients..I wish they would of had a playroom for us at Vanderbilt while you were there haha). One of the main reasons I love this playroom so much is because I tend to see children week after week and I feel like I develop a relationship with them. It amazes me how resilient these children are, most of them are going through chemo or had a bone marrow transplant but they still walk in the door ready to play and have a good time. The still light up the room with their smiles and beautiful faces.

I have been so blessed and touched by Children's Hospital, it is an amazing place and I am just so thankful that I am able to serve there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment and they make my day!