Friday, January 18, 2013

Show Us Your Life - Soup Link Up

Linking up with Kelly's Korner today to share one of my favorite soup recipes.

We love soup in the Campbell family. Soup is great because its usually pretty easy to prepare, makes a lot, is typically lower in calorie and is oh so yummy!

I just happened to stumble upon this Souther Corn Chowder recipe. Poor Monroe was sick for almost two weeks after Christmas. One really cold evening he asked me if I could make him some Corn Chowder. How could I tell the sick hubby that Corn Chowder was one thing I had never made?! I said sure..thinking this could be bad. I googled "corn chowder recipe" on my brand new MacBook and this was the first one that came up, and it looked really delicious. I ran to the store and whipped up a quick batch of this yummy not so low calorie treat.

Southern Corn Chowder: 

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup diced bacon
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 cups cups cream-style corn
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 2 cups half-and-half, scalded (could use fat free to make soup lower calorie)

Preparation:
Sauté bacon until browned and crisp; add chopped potatoes and onions. Add water, corn, and seasonings; cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in half-and-half; heat through but do not boil. 
Only have a quick iPhone picture I snapped to send to my Mom
This was such a delicious treat and a great find. I think that next time I make it I will try to make it lower calorie by using fat free half-and-half or maybe even skim milk. 

Hope that you enjoy this as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! I read each and every comment and they make my day!